Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Last Day





Our last hospital day was again a long day. I have come to the conclusion that every day your child is in the hospital is a long day.

At 7:15 am Dr. Fuchs stopped by our room to let us know the plan for the day: continue to sit him up to a 90 degree angle, let him get to his feet with a PT then go home.
It sounded like a great plan and Adam and I were so excited. I began to pack.

After he had been sitting for a while at 90 degrees the nurse checked his bandage and notice some drainage. She called the doctor to come take a look. The doctor came and removed the bandage. He told me to lay him back down. When I asked why he said "This is spinal fluid and we have to start over."

I said, "What does that mean?" He said we have to lay him flat for 5 days and try again. The tears began to flow from my eyes. I could not hold them back. Adam started crying and said, "Mommy we not going home today?" I could hardly tell him no. We were both inconsolable. He started saying "I am never going home!" Poor guy, the thought of laying flat for another five days was just too much. I started thinking of the other kids too and how hard it would be for mom to be gone for another week.

About the time we had dug in and decided we could do it the doctor came back in. He had consulted with the team treating Adam and decided to sit him back up and keep checking his dressing. If he was leaking spinal fluid he would develop a headache and his bandage would be wet. Adam and I prayed together and each time they checked it he was dry and he never developed a headache.

About 4:00pm we finally got the word...You're going home!
I finished packing and by 5:00pm we were headed back to Charlotte!
Adam, me and the girls were so happy.

We were welcomed home by Greg and the boys. It was so nice to have our family together again.

Adam has had a great day and continues to feel better.

Thank you for following our journey to Duke and home. Thank you for covering us in prayer. Many prayers were answered. We are so glad it is behind us.




<span class=

4 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! So happy to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony to the POWER of PRAYER!!! Adam looks great - Glad you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Home Adam!!!!!

    Hugs & Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Adam! We were praying with you all the way!

    ReplyDelete